School for a Culture of Peace
|Type of Organisation
|Areas of Interest
||Conflict Prevention,Gender,Dialogue and mediation,Peace education
|Edifici MRA, Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona, Barcelona
E-08193 Bellaterra Bellaterra, Cerdanyola del Vallès
About this organisation
The School for a Culture of Peace (Escola de Cultura de Pau, ECP) is an academic peace research institution located at Autonomous University of Barcelona (Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona, UAB). It was created in 1999 with the aim to promote the understanding and implementation of culture of peace through research, track II diplomacy, training, teaching and advocacy activities.
The ECP has five main fields of action:
• Research. Its main areas of research include armed conflicts and socio-political crises, peace processes, international humanitarian law and transitional justice, gender and peacebuilding and peace education.
• Track II diplomacy. The ECP promotes dialogue and conflict-resolution through track II initiatives, including facilitation tasks with armed actors.
• Consultancy services. The ECP carries out a variety of consultancy services for national and international institutions, such as specific reports and briefings.
• Teaching and training. ECP staff gives lectures in postgraduate and graduate courses in several universities, including its own Postgraduate Diploma on Culture of Peace at UAB. It also provides training sessions on specific issues, including conflict sensitivity and peace education.
• Advocacy. Initiatives include a variety of educational and awareness-raising activities addressed to the Spanish and Catalan society, including contributions to the media.
The ECP is financed by the Catalan and the Spanish government, the Royal Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Norway, NOREF, as well as local authorities and other international and local bodies. The ECP is currently integrated by 12 researchers, 1 administration officer and 1 webmaster.
The ECP is directed by Vicenç Fisas, who is also the UNESCO Chair on Peace and Human Rights at UAB. In recognition of the ECP’s contribution to peace education and peace research, it has been awarded the 2011 Evens Prize for Peace Education by the Evens Foundation, and the 2011 Liber Press Prize.
The ECP is affiliated and collaborates with several international, national and local networks such as the International Peace Research Association (IPRA), International Peace Bureau (IPB), ASEM Education Hub for Peace and Conflict Studies (ASEF) & Advisory Board, Women's International League for Peace and Freedom (WILF), Spanish Association of Peace Research (AIPAZ), the Catalan Federation of NGOs for Peace and the Municipal Council on International Development Cooperation (Barcelona), among others.